Sunday, January 5, 2014

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You

Author: Mary Ann Hoberman
Illustrator: Michael Emberley

You Read to Me, I'll Read to You: Very Short Stories to Read Together

Genre: Picture Book

Summary (from Goodreads):  Here's a book with something new - you read to me! I'll read to you! We'll read each page to one another - you'll read one side, I the other. A unique book 'in two voices' that uses traditional reading teaching techniques (alliteration, rhyme, repetition, short sentences) to invite young children to read along with an adult. Each of the twelve short stories fit on one spread and features childlike themes - family, friendship, pets and seasons.With clear, color-coded typography and amusing illustrations, this collection is sure to entertain.

Review: Amelia says "This book is fun because we can take turns reading and we can both read together.  I like the stories, especially "The End" because it tells you that you can pick another book to read when you are done reading this book.  I like how some of the pictures are a little funny."

I like the book for very much the same reasons - it is novel to read a book out loud with a beginning reader that is designed to be read by two people.  It's much more fun than reading a regular picture book out loud together; usually that doesn't flow very well.  The sentences are generally short and easy to read, but can be read with various expressions to make them more fun.  As an adult, I found some of the storylines a little dull, but again, this is a book designed for kids, and my kids thought they were entertaining.

Rating: 5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment