Monday, January 28, 2013

A Hundred Flowers

A Hundred Flowers

I have been a fan of Gail Tsukiyama's for many years, so when I saw this book at the library, I was eager to read it.  I appreciate her simple yet beautifully descriptive writing style, and I usually enjoy the slower pace that is common in her books.  This book, however, fell a little short.

This story, of a family living in China in the 1950s under the rule of Chairman Mao, helped me understand the difficulties that ordinary people faced at that time with food, shelter and health.  But I found the character development lacking, perhaps because the book was written from the perspectives of the five main characters, sometimes with only a few paragraphs devoted to one character before moving on to the next.  The story did not flow as smoothly as I had expected from a Tsukiyama book.  The end was also unsatisfying, leaving the characters in the middle of their lives with no real resolution of any issues.  I wanted to know what happened - particularly to Suyin, the teenage mother.

But even after listing those flaws, I find myself thinking fondly of Kai Ying (the mother) and how Suyin blossomed under her care and I remember the lyrical descriptions of the tree and the gardens, and I can't help but give this 4 stars.

3 comments:

  1. I read this book and it took me forever to get through- I think I renewed it 3 times from the library. I would maybe give it 3 stars but that might be generous! I was quite hopeful and was disappointed.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would like to suggest Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress: A Novel, By Daj Sijie. It is sweet book about coming of age in Mao's China.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I read Balzac and the Little Chinese Seamstress because Marcie suggested it and I just couldn't get through it although I forced myself to finish it and I just didn't like it at all!

    ReplyDelete