Thursday, May 9, 2013

The Two Week Wait

The Two Week Wait
by Sarah Rayner


Genre: Women's Fiction

Synopsis: After a health scare, Brighton-based Lou is forced to confront the fact that her time to have a baby is running out. She can't imagine a future without children, but her partner doesn't seem to feel the same way, and she's not sure whether she could go it alone. Meanwhile, up in Yorkshire, Cath is longing to start a family with her husband, Rich. No one would be happier to have a child than Rich, but Cath is infertile. Could these strangers help one another out? Combining Sarah Rayner's deft exploration of raw emotions with the joy and resilience of friendship, The Two Week Wait is a memorable, moving page-turner about two very different women, each yearning to create a family of her own.
From the publisher

Review: I liked this book but it was not a fabulous-you-must-run-out-and-read-it-right-away-book.  It was a good, light read that if it happens to be the library, why not check it out?  I liked the story line of two women, Lou and Cath, both wanting to have a baby and helping each other out with the help of modern science. I really liked the characters in the story (with the exception of 2 minor characters) and sympathized with them but I thought that they were fairly one dimensional.  I don't feel like the book captured the emotions of someone who is struggling with infertility and I think that goes back to the characters being one dimensional and also is related to my next criticism.  The book takes place over a year at least and I feel like the author just rushed through parts that would have been the most excruciating for someone struggling with infertility and perhaps that is why I didn't feel like there was enough emotion in the book.  But like I said before, it was a good book but not a great book.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment