Sunday, November 10, 2013

The Lost Wife

The Lost Wife
Alyson Richman

The Lost Wife

Genre: Historical Fiction

Summary (from Goodreads):  A rapturous novel of first love in a time of war-from the celebrated author of The Rhythm of Memory and The Last Van Gogh.

In pre-war Prague, the dreams of two young lovers are shattered when they are separated by the Nazi invasion. Then, decades later, thousands of miles away in New York, there's an inescapable glance of recognition between two strangers...

Providence is giving Lenka and Josef one more chance. From the glamorous ease of life in Prague before the Occupation, to the horrors of Nazi Europe, The Lost Wife explores the power of first love, the resilience of the human spirit- and the strength of memory.


Review: I could not put this beautifully written novel down!  And that's saying a lot right now, since I'm having a hard time focusing on anything.  Lenka's story of pre-war Prague and her time in the concentration camp of Terezin presented an unfamiliar viewpoint of the Holocaust; it was interesting to learn about the work the artists did and the risks they took to provide arts and cultural experiences for the children and other inmates.  While I enjoyed the love story between Lenka and Josef, I felt that Lenka's story was so much more powerful and moving than Josef's.  I found myself trying to read through his sections quickly so I could get back to Lenka's story - I would have given this 5 stars if his story had been as emotional as Lenka's.  I was also disappointed by the ending; I wanted to know more!

You can read Becky's review here.

Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment