Wednesday, December 30, 2015

Best Books of 2015


Here are the best books that I read in 2015 in no particular order. 

The Same Sky by Amanda Eyre Ward
The Same Sky
A tragic story about a Honduran child trying to emigrate to the United States illegally and her connection to a Texan woman suffering from infertility.  You can read my review here.

Clara's War by Clara Kramer
Clara's War: One Girl's Story of Survival
Although this book is the heartrending story of a young Jewish girl's struggle for survival during the Nazi era, it is her message of hope and courage that is the main message.  You can read my review here.

Ready Player One by Ernest Cline
Ready Player One
A really fun dystopian novel about a young man living his life inside a video game.  You can read my review here.

Lost & Found by Brooke Davis
Lost & Found
A quirky book about two old people who befriend a child in her time of need.  You can read my review here.

The Rent Collector by Camron Wright
The Rent Collector
A beautiful story about literature, friendship and redemption, even though it is set in a Cambodian garbage dump.  You can read my review here.

A Man Called Ove by Fredrik Backman
A Man Called Ove
At times sad, but often funny, this feel good story about a curmudgeonly Swedish man was a delight to read.You can read my review here.

Another Place at the Table by Kathy Harrison
Another Place at the Table
A book about a family opening their home to foster children; tragic and yet inspiring.  You can read my review here.

The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes by Anna McPartlin
The Last Days of Rabbit Hayes
A beautiful and heart-wrenching novel about a young mother in hospice care, and her relationship with her quirky family members and friends.  You can read my review here.

A Walk Across the Sun by Corban Addison
A Walk Across the Sun
The descriptions of life in India were beautifully written, revealing both the exotic charm and the seamy underside of life in Mumbai.  You can read my review here.

Hector and the Search for Happiness by Francois Lelord
Hector and the Search for Happiness
A really quick and easy read, written at times like a children's novel, about a Frenchman traveling around the world.  Interestingly, it encouraged thoughtful contemplation about happiness.  You can read my review here.  

Whistling Past the Graveyard by Susan Crandall
Whistling Past the Graveyard
  A Southern coming-of-age story about a spunky, sassy, adventurous nine year old, who ends up learning some tough lessons about family, race and segregation in pre-civil-rights era Mississippi. You can read my review here

The Invisibles by Cecilia Galante
The Invisibles
A group of women with tragic backgrounds come together as adults to support each other during trying times.  You can read my review here.

In A Perfect World by Laura Kasischke
In a Perfect World
An unusual apocalyptic novel about an ordinary woman, her relationship with her new stepchildren, and her ability to make do during a mysterious pandemic flu.You can read my review here.

I figured that since it was 2015, I should pick my 15 favorite books of the year, but I guess I can't keep expanding my list every year or pretty soon it will encompass all the books I've read.  As of December 16, I only have 11 that really stood out, plus the last two that I thought were also very good.  So maybe that will be it for the year.

Or not!  I just finished this book, and really enjoyed it:
Happiness for Beginners by Katherine Center
Happiness for Beginners
A feel good, easy to read book about a woman discovering her strengths and learning to find joy in her life.  You can read my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment