Friday, February 8, 2013

The Great Escape



The Great Escape
by Susan Elizabeth Philips

The Great Escape (Wynette, Texas, #7)

Genre: Romance

Review:  When I'm looking for a light, fun read, I frequently turn to Susan Elizabeth Phillips.  This is the seventh of her books to feature a character from the fictional town of Wynette, TX, but the story focuses on Lucy from First Lady, which is one of my favorite romance books.  I'm sorry to say, this book didn't live up to my expectations. I really wanted to like it, but there were so many things that bothered me:
  • Lucy's change from perfect first daughter to goth-skank was too unbelievable.  And while I could understand her need to get away and "find herself", the fact that she didn't let her parents know where she was was inexcusable.
  • The banter between the main characters was often rude and disrespectful, instead of funny and charming.
  • The main characters jumped into bed with each other without seeming to ever have a real conversation, or liking each other in any way.
  • Some of the secondary characters were seriously unlikable.  
  • How she got the guy in the end was too underhanded to fit her character (or maybe it just made me mad.)
If you want to read a good Susan Elizabeth Phillip's book, try Natural Born Charmer instead.

Rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment