Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Blankets

Blankets
by Craig Thompson


Genre: Graphic Novel

Synopsis: At 592 pages, Blankets may well be the single largest graphic novel ever published without being serialized first.
Wrapped in the landscape of a blustery Wisconsin winter, Blankets explores the sibling rivalry of two brothers growing up in the isolated country, and the budding romance of two coming-of-age lovers. A tale of security and discovery, of playfulness and tragedy, of a fall from grace and the origins of faith. A profound and utterly beautiful work from Craig Thompson.

Review: I read this book as one of my book club friends recommended it to me and lent it to me.  I struggled with this book but I don't think it's due to the quality of the book, it's due to the book being a graphic novel.  This is my first graphic novel and I'm not sure I will read another.  I felt that I had to infer the author's meaning many times in order to understand the story.  The author/illustrator is quite clearly a talented illustrator as the drawings were amazing.  At times there weren't enough words-just drawings.  It's quite a different way to read a story.  I also felt that there wasn't too much of a plot.  At times the book seemed to be going in one direction and then at other times in a different direction.  Perhaps it touched on too many issues to make a complete story.  It is a fast read even though it is a long book because most of the book is graphics.

Rating: 2 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment