Wednesday, December 4, 2013

The Three Silly Billies

The Three Silly Billies
by Margie Palatini
Illustrated by Barry Moser


Genre: Fractured Fairy Tale, Picture Book

Synopsis: "Hold your horsepower," said the little man with a stamp, a stomp, and a snort.  "This is a troll bridge.  I'm the Troll.  Now, start passing the buck."

Bill Bob, Billy Bo, and Just Plain Billy don't have enough money to cross the troll bridge  But by pooling their pennies with the Three Bears, Little Red Riding Hood, and Jack, the Three Silly Billies are able to pay the toll and cross the deep river in jolly good style.  And there's a whopping surprise in store for the Troll! 

Review: Most of this book went over my kids' heads.  I think this book is more written for an older audience with its play on words and detailed illustrations.  I didn't care for the illustrations for the young crowd-they weren't as playful and whimsical as I like in picture books.  I did get a kick out of the play on words.  This book was written very cleverly.  My kids liked all the different familiar fairy tale characters that were introduced in the book.  I could see this book used as a math lesson in early grades to add up the coins that are gathered to pay the troll the toll to cross the bridge.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment