Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Coda

Coda
by Emma Trevayne


Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Dystopian Fiction

Synopsis:  Deep in an abandoned basement, Anthem signs of truth and freedom with his illegal underground band.  Yet on the surface and under watchful eyes, Anthem is unable to resist the call of the Corporation's addictive, mind-altering music tracks, even as he knows they are used to control him and his fellow citizens.

When tragedy strikes close to home, Anthem realizes that defying the Corp comes at a deadly price...and the stakes of preventing his brother and sister from being claimed by the government drug are worth every heart-pounding second.  The key to the revolution might lie with the girl Anthem loves, but will he trust her enough to let her join the fight?
from the back of the book

Review: This book was slow to start but it finally picked up.  I had trouble understanding some parts and at times I was unclear as to what happened.  All of a sudden I would realize that something happened but I didn't remember reading about it!  Perhaps I wasn't reading carefully enough or perhaps things weren't explained well enough.  The writing wasn't quite fluent enough for me.  The story was intriguing with how citizens were controlled by music and music was a drug that they were addicted to.  But there was something about this story that wasn't gripping enough.  There wasn't a lot of action until about two thirds of the way through the book.  This book is certainly different that a lot of the dystopian fiction books in regards to what the world looks like.  This is supposed to be part of a series and I may read more but this book's end left me content.  I wasn't left hanging which I am thankful for.  

Rating: 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment