Friday, October 7, 2016

Pictures of You

Pictures of You
by Caroline Leavitt

Genre: Fiction

Synopsis:  Two women running away from their marriages collide on a foggy highway, killing one of them. The survivor is left to pick up the pieces, not only of her own life, but also must go back and deal with the devastated husband and fragile, asthmatic son the other woman left behind. Together, they try to solve the mystery of where April was running to, and why. By turns riveting and unsettling, Pictures of You looks at the choices women make-the roads they choose-to be loved.
From GoodReads

Review:  My feelings about this book are mixed.  There are parts of the story that I very much enjoyed and that I thought were believable and then there were parts that seemed to be plucked out of nowhere and did not fit with what we knew about the characters.  We hear that back stories of Isabelle Stein and April Nash before the accident and we learn about why there were running away.  We get clear, at least what I originally thought were clear, pictures of who they were as people.  As the story goes on we learn more and more about April Nash that didn't seem to line up with what we knew about her earlier in the book.  At one point I thought she had a mental illness.  Then we learn more and more about Sam, April's and Charlie's son.  Charlie is not the most believable character and  he does and believes some strange things (I know this seems cryptic but I don't want to give anything away).  The book does not end with how we think it will end but the end is probably much more realistic than what we all hoped would happen.  My review may seem more negative than positive but I did really get carried away in the story and I did enjoy most parts of it.

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment