Monday, November 21, 2016

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child

Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, Parts One and Two
by J.K. Rowling, John Tiffany and Jack Thorne

Genre: Play, Fantasy

Synopsis:  Nineteen years after the Battle of Hogwarts...

It was always difficult being Harry Potter, and it isn't much easier now that he is an overworked employee of the Ministry of Magic, a husband, and a father of three school-age children.

While Harry grapples with a past that refuses to stay where it belongs, his youngest son Albus must struggle with the weight of a family legacy he never wanted.  As past and present fuse ominously, both father and son learn the uncomfortable truth: Sometimes, darkness comes from unexpected places.
from the book jacket

Review:  I really enjoyed this continuing story of Harry Potter but I may have liked it so much because I love all the previous Harry Potter stories and I miss having new ones.  I did miss the magic of the books and the flowing writing that was present in the novels since this book is written as a play.  At times it seemed a little abrupt but I think that is due to not seeing characters act out the lines.  I also had a hard time aging Harry, Ron, Hermione, Ginny, and Draco and that made some of the lines and actions a little funny/silly.  So many of the characters that we know and love from the previous books were present and their personalities were the same.  Ron provides some comic relief to Harry's and Albus's seriousness.  The series has moved on so that we are set up to read more about Harry's son, Albus and his antics at school rather than Harry's forty-year-old life.  We do see a lot of Harry in this book but I could see how the next screenplays (if there are any) might be more focused on Albus's life.  Harry does bother me a little in this book as he still seems to carry some of that teenage angst attitude that he had in the later books but hopefully he grows up a little after this book (I'm talking like they are real people!)  I think it would be really interesting to see this play on stage and see the emotions and actions carried out in real life.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment