Friday, January 6, 2017

Best Books of 2016


Here are the 14 best books that I read in 2016 in no particular order.  There are four young adult fiction novels, two memoirs (!!!), one thriller, and the rest just plain old fiction.

Place Last Seen by Charlotte McGuinn Freeman
Place Last Seen: A Novel
A richly descriptive and deeply emotional story of the search for a young girl lost in the wilderness.  You can read my review here.

The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend by Katarina Bivald
The Readers of Broken Wheel Recommend
A feel-good book for book lovers about a Scandinavian girl who moves to small town America and helps bring the townspeople together.  You can read my review here.

11/22/63 by Stephen King
11/22/63
A fascinating and impossible to put down historical fiction novel about an ordinary man trying to stop the JFK assassination.  You can read my review here.

Orphan X by Gregg Hurwitz
Orphan X (Evan Smoak, #1)
A fast paced thriller about a highly skilled ex-covert operative who helps those in desperate situation; action packed and full of lies and conspiracies.  You can read my review here.

Be Frank With Me by Julia Claiborne Johnson
Be Frank With Me
The hero of this story is a profoundly gifted nine year old boy with the fashion sense of Fred Astaire.  What's not to love?  You can read my review here.

All the Bright Places by Jennifer Niven
All the Bright Places
A beautifully heart-breaking book about two teenagers discovering little known wonders in Indiana while dealing with the death of a sister and crippling depression.You can read my review here.

I'll Give You the Sun by Jandy Nelson
I'll Give You the Sun
A book about artistic twins dealing with a tragic loss while learning to be true to themselves.  You can read my review here.

Furiously Happy by Jenny Lawson
23848559
It's amazing that an author can write a hilariously funny book about depression and anxiety disorder, but that's exactly what Lawson has done.  You can read my review here.

Girl Underwater by Claire Kells
Girl Underwater
The story of a competitive swimmer learning to put her life back together after surviving a tragic plane crash.  You can read my review here.

Maybe One Day by Melissa Kantor
Maybe One Day
A powerful story about hope and friendship between a teenage girl and her friend battling leukemia; a deep connection with the characters will make it impossible not to cry.  You can read my review here.

Learning to Swear in America by Katie Kennedy
Learning to Swear in America
  This young adult novel tells the story of a Russian prodigy falling in love with a quirky American girl, all while trying to save the world from an incoming meteor that threatens to destroy all life on Earth.  You can read my review here

When Breath Becomes Air by Paul Kalanithi
When Breath Becomes Air
A hauntingly beautiful book written by a neurosurgeon diagnosed with terminal lung cancer.  You can read my review here.

The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin by Stephanie Knipper
The Peculiar Miracles of Antoinette Martin
This exquisite story about an autistic girl living on a flower farm is sure to bring you to tears.You can read my review here.

My Name is Leon by Kit de Waal
My Name Is Leon
Written from the perspective of an eight year old boy, this novel brought to life the harsh realities faced by a biracial boy abandoned by his mother and sent to foster care in the 1980s. You can read my review here.

No comments:

Post a Comment