Sunday, July 14, 2013

Gone

Gone
by Michael Grant


Genre: Young Adult Fiction/Dystopian Fiction/Fantasy

Synopsis: In the blink of an eye, everyone disappears.  Gone.  Except for the young: teens, middle schoolers, toddlers.  But not a single adult.  No teachers, no cops, no doctors, no parents.  And just as suddenly, there are no phones, no internet, no television.  No way to figure out what's happened.  And no way to get help.

Hunger threatens.  Bullies rule.  A sinister creature lurks.  Animals are mutating.  And the teens themselves are changing, developing new talents-unimaginable, dangerous, deadly powers-that grow stronger by the day.

It's a terrifying new world.  Sides are being chose, a fight is shaping up.  Townies against rich kids.  Bullies against the weak. Powerful against powerless.  And time is running out: On your birthday, you will disappear just like everyone else.

Review: This is a well written young adult book.  At first I thought it was a little young for me but once the characters had to start dealing with the fact that all adults were gone, they seemed to grow up a little.  The storyline is addicting and you can't help but keep reading.  There are terrible things that happen in this book, some that bothered me more than others, but you have to keep in mind that the oldest kids in this book are just under 15 years of age.  Some of them made amazingly mature decisions but many of them acted like 14 year olds!  I was hoping the end of the book would be a great ending but it wasn't.  I found out after I finished the book that this is the first book of 5!  Yikes!  Now I have to read the next 4 books but I'm on a waiting list for the 2nd.  I don't like getting into a series without knowing it's a series!  But overall I did like this book, it's different than the other dystopian fiction books that I have read and that's good because some of them were getting a little redundant.

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment