Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Inferno

Inferno
by Dan Brown


Genre: Thriller

Synopsis:  In the heart of Italy, Harvard professor of symbology Robert Langdon is drawn into a harrowing world centered on one of history’s most enduring and mysterious literary masterpieces . . . Dante’s Inferno.

Against this backdrop, Langdon battles a chilling adversary and grapples with an ingenious riddle that pulls him into a landscape of classic art, secret passageways, and futuristic science. Drawing from Dante’s dark epic poem, Langdon races to find answers and decide whom to trust . . . before the world is irrevocably altered.

From GoodReads

Review: It took me a while to get into this book.  I tried to read the first several pages a couple times before I finally went on.  I was really confused by the beginning.  I've never read Dante's Inferno so maybe that threw me off in the beginning?  Or perhaps I just wasn't in the right mind set to get into the book.  But after a few tries, I got hooked!  If you like Dan Brown's other books, you'll like this one.  It follows the same premise as the other stories that Robert Langdon must solve a series of cryptic clues to avert a major disaster and he's the only one in the world who knows enough about the topic and can decode the clues in order to solve the crisis.  I'm not implying that it is a bad book, I'm just saying that this book follows the trend of his other 3 Robert Langdon books.  It kept me reading and I definitely will read his next book if and when he writes one.  This one has a big twist at the end that I was not expecting and that made me want to finish the book as quickly as I could.  This is a great quick read that will get you turning the pages as fast as you can.  As always, there are plenty of descriptions of buildings and other items that you can just skim through to make the book go even faster!  I did feel that this one had more flowery and superfluous descriptions than the other 3 books.  I also felt that this one was a little contrived at places as if Dan Brown was trying to neatly tie up loose ends and was trying to make everything fit.  It seemed a big calculated. I did appreciate that I had been to several of the locations that appeared in the book so that I could visualize where Langdon went and what he saw.

Rating: 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment