Thursday, October 3, 2013

Hunger

Hunger (A Gone novel)
by Michael Grant


Genre: Young Adult/Fantasy/Dystopian Fiction

Synopsis:  It's been three months since everyone under the age of fifteen became trapped in the bubble known as the FAYZ.  Three months since all the adults disappeared.  Gone.

Food ran out weeks ago.  Everyone is starving, but no one wants to figure out a solution.  And each day, more and more kids are evolving, developing supernatural abilities that set them apart from the kids without powers.

Tension rises and chaos is descending upon the town.  It's the normal kids against the mutants.  Each kid is out for himself, and even the good ones turn murderous.

But a larger problem looms.  The Darkness, a sinister creature that has lived buried deep in the hills, begins  calling to some of the teens in the FAYZ.  Calling to them, guiding them, manipulation them.

The Darkness has awakened.  And it is hungry.
From the book jacket

Review: I can't decide if I like this series or not.  It certainly has me hooked as I really want to know what caused the FAYZ and I want to know if they ever get out of the FAYZ and everything goes back to normal.  I was really intrigued by how they would solve the problem of running out of food.  What I had trouble with was all the fantasy aspects of this book.  I really couldn't picture what the "darkness" or "gaiaphage" was or looked like or what was happening when that character was in the book.  I must not have the right mindset to visualize that.  I am left intrigued by the next books so I most likely will read them.  I am disturbed by the mentality of some of the kids but I imagine that would naturally occur in a stark situation like this one.  

Rating: 3 1/2 stars



No comments:

Post a Comment