Saturday, April 9, 2016

I Am Number Four

I Am Number Four
by Pittacus Lore

Genre: Young Adult Fiction, Fantasy

Synopsis:  Nine of us came here.  We look like you.  We talk like you.  We live among you.  But we are not you.  We can do things you dream of doing.  We have powers you dream of having.  We are stronger and faster than anything you have ever seen.  We are the superheroes you worship in movies and comic books-but we are real.

Our plan was to grow, and train, and become strong, and become one, and fight them.  But they found us and started hunting us first.  Now all of us are running.  Spending out lives in shadows, in places where no one would look, blending in.  We have lived among you without you knowing.

But they know.

They caught Number One in Malaysia.  Number Two in England.  And Number Three in Kenya.  They killed them all.

I am Number Four.

I am next.
from the book jacket

Review:  After reading the short stories about Six and Nine, I was intrigued by the concept of the story and I wanted to read about what happened to the Four and the other Lorien characters.  The short stories moved pretty quickly and contained information about the back story.  I thought the novel, the first in the series, would be the same way.  While it did contain the history of what happened before the books open, it was not full of action at the beginning.  This book started off slowly and was full of teenage angst.  I really didn't care about the characters and what was going on in their high school and the conflict between the new kid and the jocks.  It was much too juvenile for me.  But I kept reading and I was rewarded with the book shifting directions and becoming much more focused on Four's legacy and the search for information.  The end was full of action that was hard to picture (but I learned that there was a movie made about this book that might help me understand what the end action looked like).  While I didn't rate this book that high, I enjoyed it and am caught up in the story.  I have already started reading the next book.

Rating: 3.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment