Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Five Days Left

Five Days Left 
by Julie Lawson Timmer

Genre: Fiction

Synopsis:  Mara Nichols seems to have it all.  She is a successful lawyer, devoted daughter, adoring wife to a handsome doctor, and adoptive mother to a child she loves more than anything.  At first, when Mara's husband becomes alarmed by changes in her behavior, she is angry.  But as time goes on, Mara can no longer deny that something is truly wrong.

A thousand miles away, Scott Coffman is a middle school teacher committed to bettering the lives of his underprivileged students.  He and his wife want a baby of their own.  When the younger brother of a former star pupil needs a home, Scott can't resist taking in the boy, despite his wife's misgivings.  Instead of parenting an adorable newborn baby, he and his wife are mastering the art of disciplining a rambunctious eight-year-old boy.

When the reason for Mara's behavior changes becomes clear, and the boy Scott has been looking after is scheduled to return to his mother, Mara and Scott suddenly have only five days left with the ones they love most.  And both face the most difficult decision of their lives.
from the book jacket

Review: The book jacket description makes you think that you are going to read about Mara and Scott much earlier in time than you actually read about.  This book takes place over the course of 6 days and you read about their stories in flashback and also in what is happening on those six days.  From the very first sentence you know what the five days are counting down to and I really had to stop myself from reading the end to find out if she actually did what she said she was going to do.  I wasn't sure I could read the book thinking that Mara was going to go through with it.  But I restrained myself and kept hoping that Mara would change her mind.  This book is emotional and sappy but I love sappy so I'm not complaining at all.  I did shed some tears while reading this book.  This was a fast read that I couldn't put down and read in less than a day.  When I got to the end, I was torn.  I'm still trying to decide if the ending was what as best for the book.  I think it was but I'm not sure it was what I wanted  to see happen.

Rating: 4.5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment