Thursday, July 30, 2015

Interstellar Cinderella

Interstellar Cinderella
by Deborah Underwood
Illustrated by Meg Hunt

Genre: Picture Book, Fractured Fairy Tale

Synopsis: Once upon a planetoid, amid her tools and sprockets, a girl named Cinderella dreamed of fixing fancy rockets.

With a little help from her fairy godrobot, Cinderella is going to the ball-but when the price's ship has mechanical trouble, someone will have to zoom to the rescue!  Readers will thank their lucky stars for this irrepressible fairy tale retelling, its independent heroine, and its stellar happy ending.

Review:  With having a kid in the house who is obsessed with space and both kids loving fractured fairy tales, I knew I needed to check out this book the minute I saw it.  I love the Cinderella is portrayed as doing something not typically done by her gender-being a mechanic.  I also love the fact that she has a great time at the ball talking with the prince but does not fall head over heels for him.  I won't give away the ending but it is definitely not the traditional happily ever after story that we get from most fairy tales.  The rhyme scheme keeps the story flowing.  The space setting is a fun twist to the story.  My kids definitely enjoyed this book!

Rating: 4 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment