Tuesday, July 14, 2015

Suicide Notes

Suicide Notes
by Michael Thomas Ford

Genre: Young Adult Fiction

Synopsis: I'm not crazy.  I on't see what the big deal is about what happened.  But apparently someone does think it's a big deal because here I am.  I bet it was mother.  She always overreacts.

Fifteen-year-old Jeff wakes up on New Year's Day to find himself in the hospital.  Make that the psychiatric ward.  With the nutjobs.  Clearly, this is all a huge mistake.  Forget about the bandages on his wrists and the notes on his chart.  Forget about his problems with his best friend, Allie, and her boyfriend, Burke.  Jeff's perfectly fine, perfectly normal, not like the other kids in the hospital with him.  Now they've got problems.  But a funny thing happens as his forty-five-day sentence drags on-the crazies start to seem less crazy.
from the book jacket

Review:  At first Jeff drove me nuts because he wouldn't accept that he had a problem and was really smart aleck-y about it.  But then I realized that was probably pretty realistic.  Jeff added humor to a situation that normally wouldn't be humorous and the book was fairly light which was unexpected considering the topic.  I did manage to guess Jeff's secret which we don't find out about until more than three-fourths of the way through the book so it was pretty predictable.  I thought the ending wrapped up a little too nicely after Jeff was so reluctant to talk about his problems and I didn't think that was terribly realistic.  I wanted to know more about Jeff's discovery and what happened afterwards.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment