Friday, July 17, 2015

The Matchmaker

The Matchmaker
by Elin Hilderbrand

Genre: Women's Fiction

Synopsis:  Dabney Kimball Beech, the 48-year-old fifth generation Nantucketer, has had a lifelong gift of matchmaking (52 couples still together to her credit). But when Dabney discovers she is dying of pancreatic cancer, she sets out to find matches for a few people very close to home: her husband, celebrated economist John Boxmiller Beech; her lover journalist Clendenin Hughes; and her daughter, Agnes, who is engaged to be married to the wrong man. 

As time slips away from Dabney, she is determined to find matches for those she loves most - but at what cost to her own relationships? THE MATCHMAKER is the heartbreaking new novel from Elin Hilderbrand about losing and finding love, even as you're running out of time.
from GoodReads

Review:  This was my first book by Elin Hilderbrand and I read it because someone recommended this author to me.  After reading the author's bio on GoodReads and finding out that all of her books are set in Nantucket, I probably won't be reading any more of her books.  I found this book pretentious.  The characters in the book, both Dabney, Box and the side characters all seemed to need to keep up with appearances and look their best and show off for the other people on the island.  That kind of behavior is not one that I appreciate reading about.  It turns me off to the characters and the story.  It does not make me want to ever visit Nantucket if that is how people are.  The whole book had this light, frivolous air to it and then all of a sudden Dabney finds out she is dying (I hadn't looked at the book description before reading the book so I didn't know this ahead of time) and then the book tries to get more serious but it just doesn't work.

Rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment