Saturday, January 18, 2014

Attachments

Attachments
by Rainbow Rowell


Genre: Chick Lit

Synopsis:  Beth Fremont and Jennifer Scribner-Snyder, coworkers at The Courier, know the newspaper monitors their office e-mail.  But they still spend all day sending each other messages, gossiping about their coworkers, and baring their personal lives like on open book.  Jennifer tells Beth everything she can't seem to tell her husband about her anxieties over starting a family.  And Beth tells Jennifer everything, period.

Meanwhile, Lincoln O'Neill still can't believe that it's his job to monitor other people's e-mail.  When he applied to be an Internet security officer, he picture himself protecting the newspaper from dangerous hackers-not sending out memos every time somebody in Accounting forwarded an off-color joke to the person in the next cubicle.

Lincoln is supposed to turn people in for misusing company e-mail, but he can't quite bring himself to crack down on Beth and Jennifer.  He can't help being entertained-and captivated-by their stories.  But by the time Lincoln realizes he's falling for Beth, it's way too late fro him to ever introduce himself.  What would he say to her?  "Hi, I'm the guy who reads your e-mail, and also, I love you"?

With snapping dialogue and irresistible charm, Rainbow Rowell transforms an ordinary IT guy into a lovable and endearing romantic hero and proves that falling in love never happens the way you plan it.  Written with whip-smart precision and charm, Attachments is a fresh and energetic debut that marks the arrival of an exciting new voice in fiction.
From the book jacket

Review:  This book took me a long time to get through, especially for a chick lit book.  Perhaps I was not in the mood for reading a light chick lit book or perhaps I am outgrowing chick lit books.  This book was easy to put down to do something else, even in the middle of a paragraph.  I didn't have to keep reading it and that to me is an indicator of how interesting the book is.  The book was written in prose when we were reading about Lincoln and in e-mail format when reading about Beth and Jennifer.  I felt like I didn't get to know Beth as well as I got to know Lincoln.  We saw some of her feelings but not as much as I wanted to know about her.  Chick lit books are generally written from the prospective of the female but it this case it was the male character and perhaps that was my biggest complaint with the book, I wanted to know more about Beth.  I liked Lincoln.  He had some quirks and did things that I didn't expect him to do because it came out of nowhere.  I really didn't like the end.  It seemed far too forced and just all around strange.  I can't say more without spoiling the ending.
Oh, I forgot to mention, there is quite a bit of cursing in this book and some unnecessarily.  I didn't like the use of so many f words in the book.  That's one thing that detracts from a book in my mind.

Rating: 3 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment