Monday, January 27, 2014

The Husband's Secret

The Husband's Secret
Liane Moriarty

The Husband's Secret

Genre: Fiction

Summary (from Goodreads):  From the author of the critically acclaimed What Alice Forgot comes a breakout new novel about the secrets husbands and wives keep from each other.

My Darling Cecilia
If you're reading this, then I've died . . .


Imagine your husband wrote you a letter, to be opened after his death. Imagine, too, that the letter contains his deepest, darkest secret - something so terrible it would destroy not just the life you built together, but the lives of others too. Imagine, then, that you stumble across that letter while your husband is still very much alive . . .

Cecilia Fitzpatrick achieved it all - she's an incredibly successful business woman, a pillar of her small community and a devoted wife and mother. Her life is as orderly and spotless as her home. But that letter is about to change everything, and not just for her: Rachel and Tess barely know Cecilia - or each other - but they too are about to feel the earth-shattering repercussions of her husband's devastating secret.


Marcie's Review: This was such a captivating book to read - I couldn't put it down!  I had a bit of a hard time keeping the characters straight, but perhaps that's because I was usually reading while distracted by a small child.  Moriarty's strength, I think, is in making her characters seem so real; I could identify, in some way, with almost all the characters, and their thoughts and voices struck a chord with me.  I spent most of the book wondering how on earth she was going to resolve the conflict around the secret, and while I didn't exactly like the ending, it was certainly creative and thought-provoking.

Becky's Review:  I had a hard time getting into this book.  Perhaps I am not in the mood to read books such as this one but I wanted more depth.  While I felt like this book was very well written and engaging, I wanted more which is why I think my feelings towards this book may be based on what I was in the mood for reading.  I really dislike when authors hint at something and dangle the carrot in front of me for a long time before they finally let me in on the secret.  It is really one of my pet peeves in life!  I hate knowing there is a secret but not knowing what it is.  The fact that I knew about the letter that Celia's husband wrote but yet I don't know until half way through what was in the letter drove me nuts!  Once I got into the book, it was a quick and easy read.  Just make sure you are in the mood for the book before picking it up!

Marcie's Rating: 5 stars

Becky's Rating: 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment