Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Biblioburro

Biblioburro
by Jeanette Winter

Genre: Picture Book

Synopsis:  Join Luis and his trusty burros, Alfa and Beto, as they travel far and wide to bring treasured books to eager children in the remote villages of rural Colombia.

Based on the inspiring life of a real man and his devoted burro team, here is a book to remind us of the immense power stories have to connect us all.
From the book jacket

Review:  I checked out this book because I had told N2 about a book I had read with my stories about Luis Soriana and how he used his donkeys to take books to children who didn't have access to any books or libraries.  They wanted to read a book about this man so this is the book my library had.  The illustrations are very fun and colorful and reminded me of folk art from South America.  The author writes very simply about what Luis does and tells how Luis got his idea, some troubles he had when traveling to remote villages and what happens when he gets to the village.  I think there could have been more meat to this story, it may have been a little too simplified.  Maybe I felt this way because I had read a more in depth story with my students at school.  The last page does contain more information about Luis Soriana and his Biblioburro.  My kids did enjoy reading about this and had some questions about the book.

Rating: 3 1/2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment