Saturday, January 11, 2014

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy

Bridget Jones: Mad About the Boy
Helen Fielding

Mad About the Boy (Bridget Jones, #3)

Genre: Chick Lit

Summary (from Goodreads):  Bridget Jones is back!

Great comic writers are as rare as hen's teeth. And Helen is one of a very select band who have created a character of whom the very thought makes you smile. Bridget Jones' Diary, charting the life of a 30-something singleton in London in the 1990s was a huge international bestseller, published in 40 countries and selling over 15 million copies worldwide. Its sequel, Bridget Jones: The Edge of Reason, published soon after was also a major international bestseller. Both were made into films starring Renée Zellweger, Hugh Grant and Colin Firth.

Set in the present, the new novel will explore a different phase in Bridget's life with an entirely new scenario. As Helen Fielding has said: "If people laugh as much reading it as I am while writing it then we'll all be very happy."


Review: Even though Bridget is 51 in this story, and I'm 36, I feel like I've outgrown her. 

When I saw this book at the library, I was SO excited - it made my week!  And now that I've finished it, all I feel is sad.  Sure, there were moments that I enjoyed, especially those where Bridget really seemed to enjoy interacting with her children, or where you could see how her kids were picking up some of her funny habits, or even the sections about her feelings of grief and loss.  But mostly, the twitter-speak and texting dialogues were completely annoying, and all the vomit, fart and lice references were nauseatingly reminiscent of middle school boys.  I appreciated that Bridget still had some of her same neuroses, but she didn't seem to have grown up at all in the past 14 years.  And the fact that she couldn't manage to deal with her life even though she had a nanny, a cleaner, two kids in school full time and no job made her unrelatable to her target audience.

Not v. good.

Rating: 2 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment