Monday, January 6, 2014

Best books of 2013-Becky

Here are the best books that I read in 2013 in no particular order (some of the books I read for the 2nd time in 2013 so I included those as well!)

The Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern

This book's imagery and fantastical plot just grabbed me.  It was equally good reading it the second time.  You can read my review here.

The Lost Wife by Alyson Richman
I loved the beautiful love story set in Nazi occupied territories.  The characters are so well written!  You can read my review here.

Sister by Rosamund Lupton
I loved the suspense in this book!  I also liked the format of a letter written to her missing sister.  You can read my review here.

The Heart of Hearing Heartbeats by Jan-Philipp Sendker
This was such a unique story (and beautiful!) that left me wanting to discuss the book with someone.  You can read my review here.

The Fault in Our Stars by John Green
This was such a well written young adult novel that was quite emotional.  I really loved the quirkiness of this book!  You can read my review here.

Calling Me Home by Julie Kibler
This is a story of unexpected friendship.  The chapters switch between characters and you really get to know both of them very well.  You can read my review here.

The Queen of Water by Laura Resau and Maria Virginia Farinango
I loved reading about the culture and Virginia's story.  This is a quick read and very captivating.  You can read my review here.

I'll Be Seeing You by Suzanne Hayes and Loretta Nyhan
This book is entirely written in letters from one army wife to another.  It's amazing how much feeling you can get from letters.  You can read my review here.

The House Girl by Tara Conklin
I'm a sucker for historical fiction and this one is a great one about slavery and the relationship between a slave and master.  You can read my review here.

Orphan Train by Christina Baker Kline
Like I said before, I love historical fiction.  This book is another historical one but also jumps between the past and present day.  I really enjoyed reading about the friendship between a teenager and elderly woman and how they helped each other.  You can read my review here.  

I told myself I would limit this list to 10 but there were more I wanted to put on!  I would have included Divergent by Veronica Roth (I read it for either the 2nd or 3rd time this year and still loved it), Between Shades of Gray by Ruta Sepetys (a story about what happened in Russia during WWII), and Legend by Marie Lu (dystopian young adult fiction-now 3rd on my list of best dystopian series) if I had more room.

1 comment:

  1. I've read 7 of these books! And the 3 that I haven't read are now on my library hold list. If I had written reviews of all of these books, it would have made my top 10 (well, top 13) list a lot harder to narrow down. Because I liked all of these ones, too! Maybe I'll go back and add a few of my thoughts to your reviews of each book.

    ReplyDelete